Bible Study: What's Your Most Important Weapon?
Portions of this study are taken from Sparkling Gems of the Greek: by Rick Renner.
Every Christian knows (or should know) that we have been supplied with what the Bible calls: "The Armor of God". [Ephesians 6:11].
Most are acquainted with the 'shield of faith' and of course the 'sword of the Spirit'. Some also are at least familiar with the 'breastplate of righteousness' as well as the 'helmet of salvation'. But most pay little (if any) attention to the other two pieces namely: The 'loin-belt' and the 'shoes' (Preparation of the Gospel).
It is important to note that the Word of God instructs us to put on the whole armor of God - and not just part of it! Why? Because each piece has an important function of its own - and if we want to attain victory in battles that come upon us in this life it is necessary that we are clothed with the whole armor of God.
Today I want to discuss the piece of armor referred to as the 'loin-belt'. I hope that this study will help you in gaining a greater victory over the tests and trials that come your way.
A loin belt didn't look important::
Certainly no soldier would have written home and told his parents, "Wow, I've got the most incredible loin-belt!" He might have told them about his shield, his sword, or his breastplate, but no one got excited about the loin-belt. Nevertheless, it was the Roman soldier's most important piece of weaponry.
Why was this so?
This is even true with modern clothing.
The loin-belt holds it all together:
Accordingly, the soldier's ability to use his other pieces of weaponry depended on his loin-belt. If he had no loin-belt, he had no place to attach his massive shield or to hang his sword. Without a loin-belt, there was nothing to rest his lance upon and nothing to keep his breastplate from flapping in the wind. The armor of a Roman soldier would literally come apart, piece-by-piece, if he didn't have the loin-belt around his waist.
Your Most Important Weapon:
With that belt securely fastened, he could be assured that all the other pieces of his equipment would stay in place, enabling him to move quickly and fight with great fury.
Thus, the loin-belt was the most vital part of all the weaponry the Roman soldier wore. Now consider all this in light of Ephesians 6:14, where Paul says, "Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth...."
For the child of God, the loin-belt of his spiritual armor is the written 'Word of God' - the truth.
• The Breastplate: When God's Word has a central place in your life, you will have a sense of righteousness that covers you like a mighty breastplate.
• The Helmet: When God's Word dominates your thinking, it gives you peace that protects your mind like a powerful helmet from the attacks of the adversary.
• The Shield: When God's Word dominates your thinking, it enables you to fend off the powerful attacks of the enemy like a shield.
• The Sword: When God's Word is spoken in faith, it gives you the sword you need - that 'rhema' word quickened to your heart by the Holy Spirit.
• The Shoes: As long as you have your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel (walking in the Word of God) you can literally stomp right over the enemy whenever he tries tog et in your way!
• The Loin-belt: As long as the loin-belt of truth - the Word of God - is central in your life, the rest of your spiritual armor will be effective.
If you want to stay clothed in your spiritual armor, you must begin by taking up God's Word and permanently affixing it to your life. You must give the Word a central place and dominant role in your life, allowing it to be the loin-belt that holds the rest of your weaponry together.
So as you go about your daily routine today and every day, keep your 'loin-belt of truth' fully attached and operative in every situation you face. Let the Bible be the governor, the law, the ruler, the final say-so" in your life!
Prayer For Today:
Become a Partner
In addition to his contributions to this website Reverend W. C. Slyde Moran also has a weekly television show • Online Audio Studies • and an ever-increasing outreach ministry providing free Audio teachings on CD to enable the growth and maturing of the body of Christ.